Sunday, May 20, 2007

There's No Place Like Home


Tomorrow morning I will be packing up my MacBook Pro, my Canon camera, and one very large suitcase to catch a plane to the best vacation spot ever. A place I frequent every summer and winter. It is where I took my first steps, rode my first bicycle, and received my first kiss. The very place I call "HOME".

Departure: Portland, OR
Arrival: Kansas City, MO
Final Destination: Fort Scott, KS

I am so excited to catch up with friends that I have known since elementary school and spend time with my favorite people in the world - my family. Although it may be too early in the year to catch lightning bugs or go for a swim, it is guaranteed I will be dining at my favorite places. I will be hitting Sonic Drive Inn for a Route 44 Vanilla Dr. Pepper and El Charro's for the best chicken fajita salad and of course, their infamous queso. But what I look forward to the most are family barbecues and my mom and dad's fabulous home cooking - comfort food like green bean casserole, crock pot corn, and gooseberry pie. With only a Walmart for shopping, a five minute drive to get to the other side of town, and nothing open late, quiet rest is assured. No rush hour traffic, no crowded lines...time seems to stand still. This is why it is the best place for me to catch up on sleep, be alone in thought, and get my mind off myself. Although time slows down, I am sure it will go by too fast. There is never enough time left when it comes to seeing my family. Good people, good food, good times:)

With just a click of the heels, I'll be home in no time.

No comments: