Thursday, August 07, 2008

A Place I Can Finally Call Home

I have arrived. I am now "one of them." I can finally call the Northwest home. After moving here from Kansas, it only took me one month to learn how to drive in a city. Two months to become an avid coffee drinker. Three months to accept that it is okay for guys to wear skinny jeans. Six months to become a lover of shoes (Yes, I finally broke down and bought the pointy shoes and now have a closet full of pumps). One year to chop off my unstyled, boring hair. A little over a year to accept that it is okay for guys to take longer to get ready than girls and that the fauxhawk is actually quite interesting. Three years to become obsessed with tofu. About the same to develop my love for red wine. My favorite foods are now Japanese & Thai. Three and a half years to finally begin decorating my place. I guess I can't always be ready to pack in under an hour and load my car to go back to Kansas. And now it has been exactly four years and I can finally claim the title "Portlander" (even though I live in Vancouver). It is the unconditional love I have for my new assistant, my companion, my best friend...my new mini weenie, Ezekiel.

Yes, I have become one of those crazy dog owners. I knew it was true when I had to resist the urge to pull out a photograph of Ezekiel whenever a proud parent shows me a picture of their child. When I got offended that I could not take my pet everywhere I go - who knew it was against the health code in restaurants and grocery stores? Why, I certainly can't leave my puppy home all alone:) But what really tipped me off is that my print order came in yesterday and I am still sitting here trying to decide who to mail these wallet sized pictures to - my mom and dad, my niece and nephews, my dogsitter... after all there are only eight!

5 comments:

Sweet Designs Cakery said...

Awww! I want a picture. If Roger sees him, he might try and steal him from you though! How funny. I constantly talk to people with children about our "children".

love ya!

Anonymous said...

Adorable, congradulations on the new member of your family and welcome to the club. See both of you in October.
-Deidre

Kristen said...

Thanks! I think he is pretty incredible:)

Erio said...

OMG,I looked in the dictionary for the word Cute and saw a picture of EZ!

Kristen said...

Thanks Erio, Yeah, I think he knows he's cute. That's the problem! He'll be even cuter when he's over this whole biting thing... something new he is trying out:)