Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Someday


After having a puppy in my home for several weeks now, I have to admit it is life altering. My whole schedule has changed. I no longer have to set an alarm as Ezekiel wakes me up every morning between 6 and 7 a.m. Once in awhile he lets me go back to bed. I have also lost the freedom to be spontaneous because he is too young to leave at home for long periods of time. It has been both fun and challenging. He is a sweetheart in public and an angel when he sleeps. But when it comes to food you better leave him alone. I have bite marks to prove that nothing will get in his way. I guess we have a lot in common:) Despite his stubbornness, I still love him.

Yesterday, I was on the phone with my nephew Parker. Out of curiosity, he asked me what I was doing. I told him I was taking Ezekiel to the bathroom. Inquisitively, he asked, "Does he have a doggy toilet?" Later in conversation after asking Parker how preschool was going, I then told him that Ezekiel will be going to school (obedience) too. Parker preceded to ask, "Will a doggy teach him?" Oh, how I love the mind of a child. How amazing it must be to look at the world through their eyes.

It was then, I realized that I am not just training a puppy, but he is training me. To someday, take on the more difficult responsibility of raising a child.

No comments: