Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Pearl of Africa


One week has passed since coming home from Kampala, Uganda, East Africa. Last night, as I unbraided my plated hair, many emotions surfaced as I began to recall the amazing time I had. Too much to ingest all at once, I have just began to process my experiences. Many have asked me about the trip, but it is so hard to articulate in just a few words. Coming into Africa, I saw the dirt, the poverty, the intense living conditions, the sick and the diseased. If I had only one word to describe it, it would be "poor." Coming out of Africa, it is just the opposite. The word I would now use to describe it is "rich." Rich in color and character, the people of Uganda are full of love, joy, energy, passion, and laughter. Although they have little, their hearts are full. Now I know why they say Uganda is the pearl of Africa. It is the purity and the richness of its people. Although I miss the matoke (steamed banana), the music, and the landscape, what I will miss the most are my friends.

This is my mukwana (my friend). Her name is Yulusumu. She is only seven years old, but there is a sophistication about her. Confident, strong, and smart. We connected right away. Her face, I will never forget.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time! : )

Kristen said...

It was amazing. I can't wait to post more images!