Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Step Two


"Seeing is a discipline we develop. It is the first step in making a difference in our world. Unless one sees the need, one can never meet the needs."

The hardest part of going to Africa has been coming home. It is far too easy to get right back into the position we started. Busy answering emails, running errands, and working behind the computer. Soon we are back to our normal routine - it is "business as usual." When I came across this photograph of the young village boy, deep emotion immediately surfaced. When I look into his eyes, he stares back at me. I can't help but wonder, "What is he thinking? What are his needs? What are his dreams? Is there hope? What does his future hold?" Often what happens on missions trips is that we go, we connect with the people, and then we come home and it is like it never really happened. It is so different than our everyday experience that it all becomes a blur. I declare that I will not be the status quo. I pray that I am forever changed. May this be a valuable opportunity for growth and for action. May I go beyond step one, seeing, to step two, meeting needs.

No comments: